Part of our Center’s mission is to mentor the next generation of scientists focusing on implementation science, facilitate scholarly excellence and productivity by promoting the publication of manuscripts, and implementing mentoring and training sessions during annual conferences.
Content-wise, the emerging field of implementation science provides both challenges and opportunities for mentoring new investigators in new research paradigms for conducting scientifically rigorous prevention research. In addition to the critical roles of developmental and ecological theories in prevention science, implementation science requires both theoretical and working knowledge of how to form partnerships with diverse communities and institutions; how culture, social class, and gender relate to behaviors; and how qualitative and quantitative process data can be used to test and refine theoretical and practical issues involving program implementation.
The Ce-PIM scientists and representative areas of research available for mentoring include, but are not limited to:
- Dr. Hendricks Brown – Prevention Science Methodology and Implementation Research
- Dr. Sheppard Kellam – Prevention Science Methodology and Public Health Psychiatry
- Dr. Thomas Valente – Social Network Analysis and Modeling in Health
- Dr. Lawrence Palinkas – Preventive Medicine, Cross-Cultural Medicine, and Health Services Research
- Dr. Margaret Byrne – Health Economics Analysis and Decision Making
- Dr. Gina Wingood – HIV and STD Prevention Interventions for African Americans
- Dr. Ralph DiClemente – HIV and STD Prevention Interventions for African Americans
- Dr. José Szapocznik – Family-Based Drug Abuse and Problem Behavior Interventions for Hispanic Populations
- Dr. Hilda Pantin – Substance Abuse and HIV Prevention Interventions for Hispanic Populations
- Dr. Guillermo (Willy) Prado – Substance Abuse and HIV Prevention Interventions for Hispanic Populations
- Dr. Neil Johnson – Collective Behavior and Complexity Research
- Dr. Sara Czaja – Aging, Cognition and Systems Engineering
- Dr. Mitsunori Ogihara – Computer Science and Intelligent Data Analysis
- Dr. Lillian Gelberg – Brief Drug Abuse Interventions in Primary Care Settings
Ce-PIM also partners with NIDA’s National Hispanic Science Network on Drug Abuse, the Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Network and the Emory Center for AIDS Research.